Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Joys of summer...

Wonderful writing group on Cafe Mom, I have just joined has journal challenge and it is to be about the joys of summer.  Really got me to thinking about things I love about summer.  Ok, so truth be known the first thing that came to mind was all the snarky things I don't like about summer. The heat index being over a 100 or more. The fact that I live in Florida and the state bird the mosquito  will carry you away if you aren't careful. Yea, this summer I have seen some that were the biggest I have ever seen. Then there is what seems like the endless days of hearing the sounds of video games from the den. Let's not forget the sudden down pours that seem to come just as you need to leave the house so that the 100 degree heat index becomes like walking into a sauna and so if the rain does not get you the humidity will.  Really over all there are so many things that make summer almost seem unbearable. Truth be told there are so many more joys to the wonderful season. You have so many tasty things that only come in summer. Peaches, blueberries, watermelon, tomato's, cucumbers, and beans and pea's by the bushel. I don't know which I love the most the tomato's or the watermelon.  I think overall the watermelon wins out.  With is sweet pink fruit. You can chill them and then sit on the porch and let the juice run were it will and enjoy a slice. My son and I have had fun sitting on the steps eating watermelon talking about really nothing and laughing. I can remember family reunions and dinner on the grounds of the Church.  Nothing is better than good company and a slice of cold watermelon. My son would say the best of summer is the blueberry bushes in our yard. He loves to run out and pick a quart or so and eat on the all day. We also like to pick a popcorn bucket full and put on a good old movie and much away. This weekend is ear marked for blueberries, watermelon and the 3 pirates of the Caribbeans movies.  I have to say I love the beach in the winter when the tourist have gone home and you can enjoy the sound of the water and think or clear your mind. During the summer is a whole different ball park and if you love watching people can be a adventure in it's self. Exploring the tide pools and searching for shells and sharks teeth, and swimming are things that make the day complete. I love how when we come home we are sun kissed and smell like salt air.  The days are long and the time we get to spend with our love ones is sweet as watermelon.  What tops my list is a secret I will share with you. I love the fact we get up slower with no rushing to get anywhere, being able to snuggle under the sheets and a just doze back off if you want. But for me it is the fact I can get up in that quiet time and write or spent time with our new fur baby a four month old tux kitten. She crawls up on my lap then I hold her like you would a baby. Sometimes she sleeps other mornings we listen to the birds and the sounds of the day coming awake in our corner of the world. Even here in the country there is the sounds of traffic as people start their day and morning train in the distance. All seem to move at the summer lazy pace as we wake from sleep and shake off the cobwebs of sleep and head into yet another joyous day of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment